Low cost airline Viva has begun operations of its new route between Medellín, Colombia and the popular resort destination of Punta Cana, Dominican Republic with four flights a week and connections from other major South American cities such as Bogotá, Cali, Cartagena and Lima.
Viva says it expects to transport more than 50,000 passengers on this route during its first year of operations, while enabling a reduction in market fares of up to 30%, that it calls the ‘Viva Effect’, allowing travelers to find tickets from $149 USD each way, starting from Medellín. From Bogotá, Cartagena and Cali connecting through the Medellín Hub, fares begin at $169 each way.
Viva will fly from Medellin to Punta Cana on Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays. Viva already flies 12 international routes that Viva operates from its Hub at Medellín’s international airport located in the suburb of Rionegro, making it easier for travelers from other cities to connect in an agile way to multiple destinations in Colombia and America.
“We are very motivated by the inauguration of a route that promotes tourism and economic development throughout the region, such as Punta Cana. To this inaugural flight adds to our 14 domestic routes, which also begin operations this month and demonstrate the local and international reach of Viva, as well as its purpose to guarantee air inclusion and connectivity in the country and the continent. In that sense, our route network will continue to grow and will facilitate more connection opportunities for all travelers with Colombia and the world, through our HUB Medellín,” said Félix Antelo, CEO of Grupo Viva.
More details about the new Medellín – Punta Cana (MDE-PUJ) route:
- Operation launch date: 18 March 2022.
- Four flights a week: Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Sunday.
- Hours: Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Sunday: Medellín – Punta Cana 11:50 a.m.; Punta Cana – Medellin 4:11 p.m.
- Connections from Bogotá, Cali, Cartagena and Lima.
- Expected passengers in the first year: more than 50,000.
- Launch prices: from $149 USD final per way originating in Colombia and $119 final price per segment originating in Punta Cana.
- From Bogotá, Cartagena and Cali: $169 each way.
- Viva Effect: reduction of market fares by 30%