Medellín Mayor Takes Alleged Corruption Money Trail to FBI
Gutiérrez prepares new evidence for U.S. authorities
Medellín Mayor Federico Gutiérrez is preparing to take additional information to U.S. authorities as his administration investigates whether money allegedly diverted through corruption during the city’s previous government was moved through Panama and into the United States.
Gutiérrez said he has already provided evidence to U.S. government agencies and plans to deliver more information during an upcoming visit to the United States. The mayor says the material could help authorities trace the alleged movement of funds and identify people who may have benefited.
The allegations concern the 2020-2023 administration of former Medellín Mayor Daniel Quintero. They remain allegations, with responsibility for determining criminal liability resting with Colombian and U.S. authorities.
Alleged money trail leads beyond Colombia
The latest development follows a July 27 update from the Medellín government, which said investigations into alleged corruption during the previous administration had reached 666 findings, 165 more than the 501 previously identified.
According to the city, prosecutors and other authorities have collected more than 13,000 pieces of evidence and 157 witness statements and have conducted 97 expert assessments. The cases have so far resulted in 55 people being formally charged, three arrests, one conviction and 25 asset-forfeiture measures.
Gutiérrez has now placed particular emphasis on tracing what allegedly happened to money after it left Colombia.
The mayor said there is information about alleged business partners and nominees, including people who are reportedly living in Miami. He said the evidence provided to U.S. agencies is intended to help trace a potential route from Colombia to Panama and then to the United States.
If confirmed, an international financial trail could expand the investigation beyond Medellín and require cooperation from authorities in other jurisdictions.
Investigation covers multiple public entities
The corruption investigations extend across several Medellín institutions and public contracts.
The city has cited alleged irregularities involving Afinia, EPM’s Caribbean subsidiary, the Metropolitan Area of the Aburrá Valley, Metroparques, the Institute of Sports and Recreation, Buen Comienzo and the maintenance of Parque de las Aguas, among others.
Gutiérrez’s administration says potentially directed contracting during the 2020-2023 period exceeded COP 1 trillion.
One investigation cited by the city concerns the alleged sale of the management position at Afinia. According to information presented by the administration, a witness alleged that the position was negotiated for $8 million in exchange for influence over company contracting. The case includes alleged international connections that are being examined by authorities.
Other investigations involve alleged contract steering, inflated costs and the improper use of public resources.
Quintero rejects the allegations
The accusations have also intensified the political confrontation between Gutiérrez and Quintero.
Gutiérrez has attributed the alleged corruption findings to the previous administration, while Quintero has rejected the accusations and accused his successor of using the Medellín mayor’s office to pursue political attacks.
The distinction between allegations and established judicial findings remains important as the cases continue through Colombia’s justice system.
U.S. cooperation could determine where funds went
The planned engagement with U.S. authorities could become a significant next step if investigators are able to verify the alleged international financial trail.
Gutiérrez said the information could ultimately contribute to legal proceedings against people allegedly involved in the schemes, including potential extradition requests. However, no U.S. authority has publicly established that illicit Colombian funds entered the United States based on the allegations described by the mayor.
For now, the alleged movement of corruption proceeds into the United States remains an investigative lead. The next stage will be determining whether Colombian and U.S. authorities can independently establish the origin, movement and destination of the funds.
(Headline photo: Medellin’s mayor, Federico Gutiérrez. (Photo by John Acosta via Wikimedia Commons)



































